Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dreamers’ Dimensions

The most beautiful aspect of our lives is that we can dream. By dreams, I mean literal dreams that we have during our sleep, the dreams that Alice in Wonderland used to see.

Dreams have played an integral part in the human lives, right from the past, in all the civilizations. How can one forget the dream of a man who warns Julius Ceaser of his doom before his death? Many people strictly follow their dreams and respect the gestures suggested in them. For example, the Hindu king “Harishchandra” parts with his kingdom and family to fulfill the promise made by him to a sage in his (sage’s) dream. Many books have been written on “The Interpretations of Dreams”. Science and religion both have their own explanations for the occurrence and mystery of dreams.

The best thing of dreams is that no one can predict as to what dream one will see the following night and also if there will be a dream at all. So, one has to completely surrender oneself to the DreamLord/DreamLady and let the movie begin. Yes, believe me, it is better than watching a movie. Better in the sense that you can get a first hand experience of watching first day (rather, first night)-first show, because many a times you are the actor/protagonist in the movie and the whole plot revolves around yourself. And that too, free of cost.
The next best part of dreams is that you get to see and do things that you have long wanted to do but are always afraid of the result. The inhibitions, buried inside a person, come out in a full-fledged way. In this world, where society does not permit you to do things as per your whims, you are free to try them, as many times as you wish. This is the beauty of dreams. Many a times, you commit mistakes, or do some grave sins and then wake up and say “Thank God, it’s only a dream”. Dreams are truly, another dimension that lets out all the frustration and also the truth inside oneself.

Dreams always fantasize me. I love dreams. I enjoy dreams. That’s partially the reason why I like sleeping, in the hope that I see a good dream and then wake up and still remember it. I am utterly disappointed when I fail to recollect all the details of my previous dream.

I have jumped from a 50ft building and still my legs don’t hurt. I have tried yelling but my voice just wouldn’t come out, as if I were dumb. I have missed my trains and exams. I have beaten up many rascals. I have died and watched my own funeral. I have kissed her. I have seen ghosts and gods. I have seen more weird creatures than those shown in The National Geographic. I have woken up in the midst of a dream just to discover that it is still another dream. WOW!!! What a variety.

Oh!! See you next time. It’s time for me to glide to the Dreamland.

6 comments:

Prem's Blog said...

Hmm..interesting observations...i think many people including me can relate to your 'dreamland' :)

I guess we tend to achieve or do things we cannot in real life through our dreams...in a way dreams provide us an escape route out of reality..i also think that our dreams reflect the reality we are in :)

Anonymous said...

Quite interesting dreams..must say... but unfortunately I have good sleep most of the time and I feel that I do not dream or may be I forget...

I know that dreams are like small packets of our simple and complex thoughts during the day woven with feelings... but I am really keen to know the scientific reason behind such imaginative dreams.... say for example a snake with four legs..

Unknown said...

Nice post..
Personally I believe, we get dreams when our minds are troubled, or not at peace, even when we are thinking of something pleasant.. So sometimes its nice to dream and sometimes not so much :)

Dhruv said...

Interesting Yogesh... Nice topic to dwell upon... Its a hard fact that since you get dreams.. you have a lot of unfulfilled desires(good and bad) within you. In that sense dreams are a good medium of reliving those desires. Those unfulfilled desires are stored in our sub-conscious mind. In our normal day to day activity we do not contact our sub-conscious mind but contact only our conscious mind. Only in a silent environment like sleep we encounter our deepest desires.Personally I believe,One needs to use dreams only in a constructive way to fulfill our desires to put an end to them.. and personally i dread dreams...

Anitha said...

Nice one. All the best to your "Out of the World" dreams.

Anonymous said...

Interesting choice of topic: Dreams.

Incidentally I am currently reading "Adventures Beyond The Body" By William Buhlman. Not exactly bout dreams but similar territory. :)