Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stony Story

DISCLAIMER: This is entirely a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any character, living or non-living is purely coincidental.

There was a stone. Let’s call him Bonnie. Bonnie used to live with the Trees. He enjoyed being under the shade of the big trees. He played with the other stones that use to gather around the trees. There was a River that flew beside the trees. Bonnie liked the charm of the River. He was mesmerized by her snow white colour. He liked her agility and determination. She was his inspiration and motivation. But he never said about it to anyone. All were happy and life seemed perfect. Bonnie gradually became bigger and powerful in size.

Then, one day, from nowhere, suddenly the Wind blew. The River was told by the Wind that she was destined to become great and powerful like the Sea. The only way to achieve that was by becoming the Sea itself. This would be possible only if the River moves on towards the Sea and blend with it. The River, being greatly inspired by the Wind, decided to achieve something more in her life. After all, she couldn’t afford to waste her life by just languishing there in the forest.

Needless to say that the stone was shocked and shattered, when he heard about it from the Wind. He kept his grief to himself. He didn’t try to stop the River, nor did he ask the Wind to persuade her to stay. Instead, he just followed her, as far as he could. He tried to get all the details relevant to the River and the Sea. During this course, he got corroded and washed away and his size reduced. Chasing, he went far ahead from the stones and the trees. Chase seemed to be the only thing in his mind. But the River became swifter and outran the stones and Bonnie. Bonnie, being unable to control his feelings, sobbed. Nobody but the Wind noticed it. But it was too late. Bonnie, returned back to the trees and quietly climbed to the top and jumped off in the River. The Wind stopped blowing. The trees stopped moving. There was silence all around.

The River was too busy to notice all this. It finally reached the Sea and blended into it. It became powerful, strong and larger, just the way she had dreamt of. But she also became darker, brackish and rough. When the river looked around, there were no trees, no stones and no Bonnie. She was isolated. The Sea seemed so enormous, and at the same time so lonely and empty. Was this what she had craved for? She didn’t need anyone but still wished there was someone, with whom she could share her happiness and success. Even the Wind had stopped. She started realizing all the things that she had missed and ignored in the past. Seeing the cold and unfriendly boulders in the ocean, she was reminded of those stones of the past. Oh!! There were several stones in her life and she hadn’t spent enough time with anyone. Out of them, there was one that wasn’t merely a stone. It was a diamond. She longed for the diamond, now.

Today, when one goes for a stroll near the coast of the Sea and concentrates enough, one can hear the waling voice of the River, amidst the noisy sea waves. Every evening, the River sings:

My Bonnie lies over the ocean
My Bonnie lies over the sea
My Bonnie lies over the ocean
Oh bring back my bonnie to me

Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me, to me
Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me

Oh blow ye the winds o'er the ocean
And blow ye the winds o'er the sea
Oh blow ye the winds o'er the ocean
And bring back my Bonnie to me

Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me, to me
Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me

The winds have blown over the ocean
The winds have blown over the sea
The winds have blown over the ocean
And brought back my Bonnie to me

Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me, to me
Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me

9 comments:

Anitha said...

Interesting story. They say, "It is always lonely at the top". The price you pay for achieveing and being someone in life. Or trying to simply attain and utilize your full potential.

Did u write the story or someone contributed it to your blog ;)

Nikhil Kulkarni said...

Nice blog ...

You can work a bit more on formatting

sna said...

hey dats a nice story.....

Anonymous said...

Very imaginative and powerful... This is one of your best blogs!! Keep up the good work.

sammythewizzy said...

WoW!! Simply Wow!! Did you write this story on your own? The river's song at the end was great..

yogs said...

Thank you for reading and commenting..

To clarify some of reader's doubt, it is an original story written by me..

@Nikhil: I will keep your comment in mind for further posts.

Do keep visiting my blog in the future

AmNeet SAiNi said...

Awesome....it's really an inspirational story....

Abhinav said...

Seems am bit late to comment on this blog.. but Good one buddy.. A captivating story sending a very strong message..Keep up the gud work :)

Anonymous said...

Nice one