Saturday, September 27, 2008

The mighty Dal-chawal.

Do you have Dal???
Enna sarrr?
dal, daaal..
It is the most common scenario when a north Indian sits down to eat "Meals" in a Tamil Nadu restaurant. The most basic and the most common food across all the north Indian states is the famous Dal-chawal. It is always an essential part of food at household, dhabas and restaurants. Yes, the sight of steamed basmati rice with hot dal and ghee floating in it is enough to make you go hungry. Believe me, it is the most satisfying and filling dish that one can have. No other food pair in the whole Indian food community is as relishing as Dal-chawal.
Even those running after pizzas and burgers, finally resort to Dal-Chawal at the end of the day.It is also the most nostalgic food item for all Indians outside their home.
Even though India may be leaping ahead in technology and growth, even though the count of millionaires will increase and the country might be divided economically in various sectors, there will be one thing that will be common to all. The common food habit(Dal-chawal in particular) will keep the different communities, divisions and sections of people glued to each other. It is this invisible string that binds all of Indians together no matter in which part of world they are.
So, be it channa dal, moong dal, masoor dal, or dal makhani, dal fry,
Dal-Chawal is the King.

PS: This post is dedicated to my sister who taught me how to prepare Dal-Chawal.

4 comments:

Preeti said...

Wow...I am really proud of you..Guess now you can write on any topic...

Well, I disagree with your statement about common food habit.. There are not many who prefer dal chawal..The fact that people from different community are together.. I assume it is because of many other reasons....

Prem's Blog said...

Hmm...nice post

I agree with u...dal chawal is the best food one can get...its one of my favourites too...

Priyanka Malkan said...

char saal coimbatore mein nahin mila isliye dukhi hain???

ur right though.. i personally dont fancy it par ghar mein sab log paagal hain iske peeche.. my mama eats dal-chawal just before sleepin in the night every single day else he does not get sleep..

waise kaha jaaye to north india mein parathe bhi bahut famous hain...

Ashish Gourav said...

I do agree with you
@ hostel here I never touch chawal but when i reach my home I pounce on dal-chawal......
good post